New York, London and Milan, what do they have in common? Fashion week! We are in the middle of the fashion season and have decided to put the spotlight on fashion marketing for future marketers. The fast-paced industry keeps marketers on their toes to design creative campaigns to showcase fashion products artfully while achieving conversions and a return on investment. Let’s take a look at fashion marketing as a career – job description, salary, and degrees, and discuss how aspiring marketers can plan a successful career in fashion marketing.
Definition of fashion marketing
Fashion marketing, also known as fashion merchandising, is defined as the process of planning and promoting goods or services in the fashion industry to the right audience, at the right time and in the right place, at the right time. ‘using marketing and advertising tools and strategies.
Like other branches of marketing, fashion marketing and merchandising encompasses the following marketing activities:
- Identify your target customers and understand and anticipate their specific fashion needs.
- Predict, track and create trends in styles, colors, sizes, fabrics and packaging design.
- Forecast sales in the current cycle of fashion trends.
- Conceptualize, design and develop fashion products.
- Determine resources, select and purchase the right equipment.
- Planning of pricing, promotion and distribution of products.
- Design advertising campaigns and promotional activities to attract buyers.
- Create engaging and exciting fashion shopping experiences.
Fashion marketing and merchandising is a dynamic industry as the fashion cycle continues to evolve. Therefore, fashion marketers need to make quick decisions and adapt to rapidly changing trends to be successful in this profile.
Learn more: What is the future of women in Martech? Hear from 7 top professional women
Fashion Marketing Job Description
What does it take to become a fashion marketer? Let’s take a look at the skills and responsibilities required for a fashion marketing job.
Working in the fashion marketing industry can be difficult, but if you have an eye for detail, a passion for fashion, and can balance your creative and business side, it can be very satisfying. You would also need a bachelor’s degree in marketing and / or fashion and relevant experience, we will get to that later in the article.
Here’s what you’ll find in a typical fashion marketing job description.
Fashion marketing jobs require basic marketing skills that would require you to:
- Design strategies to raise awareness, promote products and intrigue customers
- Track customer trends to understand their needs and present the products that best meet their needs
- Plan targeted campaigns that drive sales and increase revenue
- Analyze customer behavioral data and conversion and sales metrics
- Make data-driven decisions to anticipate trends and strategically apply inferences to refine current and future marketing efforts
- Be on top of marketing budgets, inventory channels, store management and other operational activities
- Make optimal use of emerging technologies such as augmented reality (AR) to create immersive experiences
The future of fashion marketing relies on brands adopting new technologies such as augmented reality to reach even more consumers. Augmented reality enhances the shopping experience by allowing shoppers to try on clothes, glasses, shoes, and even view new makeup without leaving home. These virtual shopping experiences are also designed to be shared on social media.
~ Todd grossman, CEO Americas, Talkwalker, exclusively at MarTech Advisor
Besides these basic skills, some of the qualitative skills of a fashion marketer include:
- Understand fabrics and have a keen sense of design
- Interest in fashion and creative spirit
- Observational skills to keep tabs on fashion news and changing styles
- Relationship building skills to better understand, communicate and connect with consumers
- Collaborative and presentation skills to work with design, business and sales teams
- Multitasking and time management capabilities
If you are skilled, talented, and hardworking, you can expect to earn a fairly decent salary. In the next section, we discuss some popular fashion marketing jobs and what you can expect to gain in these roles.
Fashion Marketing Salary
How much can you earn as a fashion marketer? Fashion marketing salaries vary according to profile and experience. Here is a list of some of the most popular fashion marketing jobs and respective salaries:
|Fashion Marketing Jobs||Fashion Marketing Salary (Average / Yearly)|
|Internal||$ 32K – $ 38K|
|Coordinator||$ 42K – $ 55K|
|Specialist||$ 45K – $ 52K|
|Digital Marketing Strategist||$ 41K – $ 51K|
|Marketing Manager||$ 64,000 – $ 89,000|
|Merchandiser||$ 31K – $ 63K|
|Journalist||$ 41K – $ 66K|
Most managerial positions ranging from senior executives to directors are paid based on expertise and job portfolio with salaries ranging from $ 100,000 to $ 200,000 per year.
To excel in the fashion industry, it is important to have a good understanding of the fundamentals of fashion marketing. Therefore, a fashion marketing degree can help you plan your entry into the industry.
Let’s talk about how to get a fashion marketing degree, fashion marketing colleges, and online degrees to get you started.
Fashion Marketing Diplomas
A fashion marketing degree covers different areas of the fashion industry. To earn a fashion marketing degree, you will need to learn the essentials of fashion and business courses. You will also need to equip yourself with methodologies for research and analysis and forecasting of the fashion market. Visual merchandising and presentation, exhibition design, design and production management are some of the courses offered in most degrees.
It is always good to identify a niche / specialty to excel in the area that interests you the most. Some of the more popular specialization options are:
- Marketing communications
- Fashion business management
- Textile development and marketing
- Marketing of cosmetics and perfumes
- Design and marketing of accessories and jewelry
- Clothing design and production
- Branding and fashion promotion
- Fashion Reviews
- Production of fashion shows
- Fashion forecast
Here is a list of the top 10 fashion marketing colleges in the United States, according to Fashion schools:
- Fashion Institute of Technology, New York
- IOWA State University, AMES, IOWA
- Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama
- Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado
- University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, Minnesota
- Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma
- University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
- Savannah College of Art & Design, Savannah, Georgia
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Fashion is constantly changing and you have to constantly refresh your skills. If it is not possible to go to college, you can enroll in colleges offering online fashion marketing degrees.
Most online fashion marketing degrees offer courses in fashion design and merchandising. Best colleges has compiled a list of fashion marketing colleges that offer online degrees:
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Central Michigan University
- Johnson & Wales University
- University of Southern New Hampshire
Reading fashion marketing books can also help you rethink your fundamentals and add new dimensions to your perspective. Here are some books we recommend (in no particular order):
Learn more: What are the biggest fears of marketers? Expert advice, and overcome them
How to start your career in fashion marketing?
Here are some tips for starting an aspiring fashion marketer:
- Identify your passion for fashion and take a job quiz to see if you have a creative and business flair for a fashion marketing role.
- Enroll and work towards a Fashion Marketing Degree.
- Adopt new technologies that can improve your fashion marketing strategies.
- Work as an intern to learn more about industry requirements, expectations and core expertise.
- Fashion marketing experience can help you identify a niche segment that matches your skills.
- Get a specialization course to improve your skills. You can even get an online fashion marketing degree and continue working in the industry.
- Don’t forget to read fashion marketing books and news in your free time to learn about the latest trends.
Creativity, hard work, attention to detail, analytical skills, and adapting to ever-changing trends can catapult your career in fashion marketing.